The City of Garland serves homeowners with a variety of services including building permits and inspections for many common home improvements. In many cases, the Building Inspection Department serves as the contact for homeowner questions regarding permits, building codes, inspections, and fees. Below are answers to some common questions regarding residential building permits and other important standards of which Garland homeowners should be aware.

Building Permits

Many major home repair or renovation projects will require a Residential Building Permit. Permits are often required for:

  • Construction of a new home
  • Demolition of an existing structure
  • Residential additions and accessory buildings (including carports)
  • Major renovations (including foundation repair, roof replacement, and garage conversions)
  • Fence installation and new driveways
  • Plumbing systems and repairs (including water heater replacement and irrigation systems)
  • Electrical systems and repairs
  • HVAC (including air-conditioning and heating systems)

Other residential projects may also require permits. Contact the Building Inspection Department if you are unsure if your project requires a permit before you start the work.  You can reach us at 972-205-2300 or at


The Board of Adjustment makes decisions on requests for variances to the Zoning Ordinance regarding development standards. Occasionally, homeowners may choose to request a variance by completing a Board of Adjustment Application

Additional Resources

  • Home Occupation (or operating a business from your home) - In an effort to protect the safety and quality of life of Garland’s neighborhoods, the Zoning Ordinance regulates Home Occupation uses and sets forth certain standards that must be met in order to legally operate a business in a residential district.
  • How to Locate Underground Utilities - Before you dig, call 811 for marking of underground utilities.
  • Lake Ray Hubbard Subleasing Information - Residents who own property adjacent to Lake Ray Hubbard and want to use the LRH Take Area may execute a sublease agreement through the Engineering Department.
  • Single-Family Rental Program - The City of Garland requires all single-family rental properties to be permitted by Code Compliance and to meet minimum standards.
  • Citizen Complaints - If you have a complaint about construction in your neighborhood, you may submit it online for a City representative to review.