Start, Stop, & Transfer Service

Woman Sitting Behind a Computer Working on Utility ServicesResidential Customers

To establish service, you will need to:

  • Fill out an application. You can apply online, (During the COVID-19 pandemic our application process has be limited to our online process.  For those that do not have internet service available, an application can be picked up at our drive thru payment center located at 717 W State Street Garland, Texas 75040 Between 8 AM to 6 PM Monday through Friday.)
  • Provide identification in the form of a valid Texas Driver’s License or Texas identification. If you have an out of state driver’s license or identification, a copy is required. An additional deposit may be charged if a valid Texas ID is not provided within 30 days.
  • Choose one of the following options to satisfy deposit requirements for your account:
    • Deposit of $200 (for electric customers) or $75 (for water-only accounts) payable by cash, check or money order. Deposit can be paid in full when service is requested or with the first month’s billing statement. (All cash deposits are refunded at the customer’s request after 12 months of no late payments.)
    • Credit check through Experian for a non-refundable fee of $10, payable in the office at time of request. Your credit report must reflect that credit has been established for at least one year and must also meet our criteria to satisfy the deposit requirements.
    • Letter of Credit from another utility company (electric, water or gas only). Letter of Credit must show that no more than one late payment occurred within the most recent 12 months of service.

An account establishment fee of $30 is assessed on all customers’ first utility bill. If you are moving into a single-family rental property, check with the owner to make sure the property is registered with the City as a rental. It must be registered before starting utility service. You may also be required to provide a copy of your lease.

If you are starting service for a home you have purchased, you may be required to show proof of ownership. Please turn off all water faucets before starting water service.

Commercial Customers

Commercial customers must apply in person at the Building Inspection Department located on the first floor of the Main Street Municipal Building. A deposit will be required to start service. Call 972-205-2671 for more information.

If power is currently off, commercial customers’ main electrical breaker boxes must be accessible to servicemen before service can be connected. If the main breaker box is inaccessible, please make sure that all breakers are open or turned off prior to service connection. After we have connected power, please reset fuses or breakers, which we may leave off for safety reasons.

Please turn off all water faucets before starting water service.

  1. Stop Service
  2. Water Service Instructions